Do you hope to be receiving a bouquet of roses in the days ahead? Learn something new this Valentine’s Day with these eight fascinating facts about roses.
- There are more than 100 species of roses.
- All roses have 5 petals with the exception of one particular species, Rosa sericea.
- The tallest rose bush ever recorded was 23 feet (or 7 metres) in height.
- Each rose color holds a different meaning: Red roses symbolize love. Pink roses signify grace. Peach roses convey modesty. Purple and violet roses represent enchantment. Burgundy roses imply unconscious beauty. Orange roses hold the meaning of fascination.
- Roses are edible and can be used in salads, desserts, jam and other delicious foods. (Have you ever tried rose water or had rose petal jam?)
- Roses are the oldest cultivated plant used for decorative purposes. The Ancient Romans used these flowers to decorate buildings and create rose petal walkways.
- Keep your rose bouquets in a cool area – that’s where they’ll last the longest!
- The most popular flower in the United States is the rose.
Which of these facts do you find the most interesting? Share your viewpoint in the comments below.