Selecting the perfect image to use as your Facebook cover can be confusing, especially if you don’t have a lot of experience with social media. Here’s a short guide.
At the time of this writing, Facebook covers are sized at 851 pixels wide by 315 pixels high. For the purposes of this article, I’ll refer to this format.
- Before conducting a search for your image, determine whether you’d like to add text or other graphic elements, such as a book cover, on top of the image. If the answer is yes, you will want to look for a photo that has copyspace. This means there is extra room – uncluttered blank space – for text to be inserted over the photo without interfering with the main focus.
- During your search, avoid any images that are focused around the bottom left corner – this is where your Facebook profile picture will sit. If you choose an image with the main subject in this location, it will be hidden behind your profile picture.
- If you’re selecting an image from LookLagoon, the Large size works best. This should provide you with a big enough photo to display on Facebook, so that you don’t have to enlarge it or stretch it. Enlarging any photo from its original size may cause it to pixelate.
- Finally, after you download the photo, you can crop it to your liking and insert text or other elements if necessary. This can be done in a variety of different computer programs, such as Adobe Photoshop Elements or something as simple as Paint.
- The last step will be to log into your Facebook account, click “Update Cover Photo,” and upload your stunning new image!