Display advertising is a form of online advertising where you pay for your ad to appear on one or more sites across the web. When creating a display ad, it’s important to make it attractive and interesting by introducing elements other than just text.
How to create an eye-catching, effective display ad for your business, brand, product or website:
- Keep the amount of text to a minimum. The less people have to read, the better. If you can get your point across in just a few words or by using a catchy phrase, web users will be more likely to read your ad. Too much text can be overwhelming and easily overlooked.
- Add a striking visual element to attract attention. Steer away from including solely text and complement your ad copy with an image that will catch the viewer’s eye. Try selecting an image that can be easily cropped to the necessary dimensions. Browse through some images to find one that works best for you – and don’t forget to choose one that has copy space (that’s empty space in the photo where you can insert text and it will still be easy to read).
- Use a thin border to make your ad stand out. If the background of your ad is mainly white, it might get lost on the webpage. Adding a thin border around the outside edge of your display ad can help you easily avoid this issue. The border doesn’t have to be anything fancy – a thin line that is 2-3 pixels wide should do just fine.
- Don’t stray from the main idea. Make sure all of the elements you choose to include relate to the subject matter of your ad and convey the appropriate concept you’re aiming for.
- Include a “clickable” button. Adding a button icon that appears to be 3D or clickable can be a great way to encourage people to click on your ad. When creating this button, include one or two words that will let users know what will happen when they click. For example, you could include the words “Get Started” or “Learn More”.
- Be straightforward and include an image of your product or service. If you have an image of the product or service you sell, include it in your ad. This will ensure you only get clicks from people who are interested in finding out more specifically about your offering.
Do you have any other tips for creating effective display ads? Add your own ideas to this list by leaving a comment.